Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Associate's) - Birmingham, Alabama
Associate of Applied Science
Sonography, also known as Ultrasound, is on the forefront of modern medicine; diagnostic medical sonography findings are actually replacing more invasive procedures. Join our 24-month Sonography Associate of Applied Science program and be part of the future of sonography.
At the Birmingham Diagnostic Medical Sonography Associate of Applied Science program, we aim to provide you with a well-rounded education with a strong focus on hands-on training in sonography. To that end, we provide both foundational general education courses as well as courses designed specifically for sonography. We focus on ultrasound physics and instrumentation, along with courses on the main sonography categories, including abdominal, reproductive system, obstetrical, gynecological and vascular scanning.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program in Birmingham is now a CAAHEP accredited program, teaching hands-on scanning experience. Our instructors have over 100 years of combined experience in the field, focusing their instruction on enriching the experience with guest lectures, externships, and real OB patients to provide additional experience.
During your time at our Birmingham Diagnostic Medical Sonography program you will have the opportunity to work on our nine ultrasound machines and two arterial machines , ensuring each you have ample hands-on experience in the labs. In fact, each student spends 400 hours scanning on these machines before entering a clinic for an externship, where students spend another 400 hours gaining real-world experience.
These externships are at a variety of medical facilities around Birmingham, including Shelby Baptist Medical Center, Children's Hospital in Birmingham, Princeton Baptist Medical Center, and more. After graduation, some students are hired by their externship site.
Visit the general Diagnostic Medical Sonography page to learn more about our 24-month Sonography Associate of Applied Science program.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at Virginia College in Birmingham is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Commission on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
*Program details subject to change. See the official campus catalog and appropriate addenda for the latest information.
Virginia College in Birmingham's Available Programs
- Accounting Specialist (Associate's)
- Business Administration (Associate's)
- Business Administration (Bachelor's)
- Business Administration (Master's)
- Cosmetology (Diploma)
- Culinary Arts (Diploma)
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Associate's)
- Healthcare Reimbursement (Associate's)
- HVAC-R Technician (Associate's)
- HVAC-R Technician (Diploma)
- Medical Assistant (Associate's)
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
- Medical Billing and Coding (Diploma)
- Network Engineering (Associate's)
- Network Management (Bachelor's)
- Network Technician (Diploma)
- Associate Degree in Nursing (Associate's)
- Pastry Arts (Diploma)
- Pharmacy Technician (Diploma)
- Respiratory Care (Associate's)
- Surgical Technology (Associate's)
- Therapeutic Massage (Diploma)