Healthcare Reimbursement - Associate's Degree
A healthcare reimbursement professional plays an important role in a medical organization by ensuring that insurance requests are properly coded and billed in order to avoid costly delays in reimbursements. Also called medical billing and coding, this is an important function in the healthcare team and a growing profession.
Get an Associate's Degree in Healthcare Reimbursement.
The Healthcare Reimbursement associate of science degree at Virginia College is designed to provide the practical training needed for a rewarding career in medical billing and coding. These professionals are in demand in healthcare settings such as:
- Physician practices
- Medical offices and clinics
- Hospital business offices
- Insurance companies
- Healthcare consulting firms
- Medical records departments
Job Growth in Healthcare Reimbursement
As of 2012 (the most recent estimate available), decade-long job growth in this field is projected at 22% according to O*NET OnLine (using data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). That growth rate is much higher than the average for all occupations.
Hands-On Training in Our Medical Billing and Coding Degree
During the 24-month intensive course of study in the Healthcare Reimbursement program, our instructors cover basic body anatomy, organs and systems to help you better understand the procedures you are coding and to help ensure coding accuracy. You'll get specialized training in coding conventions including Current Procedural Terminology (CPT-4), International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, and ICD-10-PCS) and the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS).
Get On-the-job Experience.
One of the most important elements of the Healthcare Reimbursement program at Virginia College is the opportunity to apply what you learn in class to an actual workplace setting. At the end of your program, you'll participate in an externship in a medical workplace, supervised by a doctor, nurse or other health services professional. The externship experience provides helpful exposure to the actual day-to-day work of a healthcare reimbursement professional and provides valuable real world experience.
Get Prepared for Healthcare Reimbursement Certifications.
With successful completion of the Healthcare Reimbursement associate of science degree at Virginia College, qualified graduates may be eligible to sit for Certified Coding Associate (CCA), Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or both.* Although certification is not a requirement for employment in some states, it may highlight to potential employers the quality of your academic training and your commitment to a successful career as a healthcare reimbursement professional.
Virginia College Also Prepares You to Find the Job!
Not only do we help you learn to do the job, we help you find the job! Virginia College helps you jumpstart your job hunt with resume building, interview skills and assistance finding externship sites. Our National Externship partners include Any Lab Test Now, Take Care Health, HealthSouth and others.
When graduation time comes around, the Virginia College Career Services team helps you navigate your job search, offering career planning and placement assistance. For some graduates, our national relationships with Corporate Partners like Conifer Health, ScribeAmerica and Hanger Prosthetics and Orthotics result in being hired as a medical billing and coding professional!
Get Started Now.
Learn more about a fulfilling career as a healthcare reimbursement professional. Complete the Request More Information form and take the first step toward your successful new career.
* Note: The College makes no representation, promise or guarantee that completion of this program either assures passage of any certification examination or acceptance by any state board. Prospective and current students, as well as graduates, are responsible for researching and understanding all examination, registration or licensure requirements in any state in which they seek to become registered, licensed or employed.
Earn Your Healthcare Reimbursement Associate's Degree Online
Your success in Healthcare Reimbursement - Associate's Degree starts at the following locations:
- Birmingham, Alabama - Diploma
- Huntsville, Alabama - Diploma
- Mobile, Alabama - Diploma
- Montgomery, Alabama - Diploma
- Fort Pierce, Florida - Diploma
- Jacksonville, Florida - Diploma
- Pensacola, Florida - Diploma
- Augusta, Georgia - Diploma
- Columbus, Georgia - Diploma
- Macon, Georgia - Diploma
- Savannah, Georgia - Diploma
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Diploma
- Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana - Diploma
- Biloxi, Mississippi - Diploma
- Greensboro, North Carolina - Diploma
- Charleston, South Carolina - Diploma
- Columbia, South Carolina - Diploma
- Greenville, South Carolina - Diploma
- Spartanburg, South Carolina - Diploma
- Chattanooga, Tennessee - Diploma
- Knoxville, Tennessee - Diploma
- Richmond, Virginia - Diploma
NOTE: Program details subject to change. See the official campus catalog and appropriate addenda for the latest information.