Medical Office Administration - Associate's Degree
Online and on-campus degrees available
Medical office administration is a vital part of the healthcare industry. The Virginia College Medical Office Administration associate's degree program — either online or on campus — can help prepare you for jobs that will result from the 22% growth this career field will experience from 2012 to 2022*.
What Are Job Duties for Those in Medical Office Administration?
Medical Office Administrators are a vital part of the healthcare team, performing administrative duties in a medical office, hospital or clinic. The report directly to an office manager, physician or other health practitioner. Some of the job duties for those trained in medical office administration includes:
- Greeting and assisting patients
- Scheduling appointments
- Creating and maintaining patient records
- Transcribing physicians' diagnostic comments and orders
- Billing insurance providers and patients
- Collecting and recording payments, and inputting data into computerized record systems.
Preparing You for Medical Office Administration Jobs
At Virginia College, you will only take courses that pertain to your success in the workforce. We are experienced at giving students the training they need to become successful in their chosen careers.
In addition to training from instructors with real-world experience, you will also complete an externship in a physician's office, clinic or related healthcare facility under the supervision of a physician, nurse, or health services professional. This will give you valuable, on-the-job experience before you graduate.
What You Will Learn in this Program
Upon graduation from this program, graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of essential medical terminology and office procedures, along with good customer service skills as required in the administrative portion of a medical facility
- Function successfully in a healthcare setting by providing patient scheduling, greeting, and record keeping, as well as other administrative tasks in a medical setting
- Transcribe physicians' diagnostic comments and orders
- Use computer technology and administrative skills in a healthcare environment
- Create and maintain both electronic and paper patient files
- Coordinate a job search
Classes start soon, so if you think you might be interested in the associate's degree in Medical Office Administration — either through convenient online learning or from one of our campuses — complete the Request More Information form now.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014 Edition
Earn Your Medical Office Administration Associate's Degree Online
Your success in Medical Office Administration - Associate's Degree starts at the following locations:
- Augusta, Georgia - Associate of Science
- Columbus, Georgia - Associate of Science
- Savannah, Georgia - Associate of Science
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Associate of Science
- Biloxi, Mississippi - Associate of Science
- Columbia, South Carolina - Associate of Applied Science
- Florence, South Carolina - Associate of Applied Science
- Greenville, South Carolina - Associate of Applied Science
- Spartanburg, South Carolina - Associate of Applied Science
- Knoxville, Tennessee - Associate of Applied Science
- Richmond, Virginia - Associate of Science
NOTE: Program details subject to change. See the official campus catalog and appropriate addenda for the latest information.