Medical Assistant (Diploma/Certificate - 48 Credit Hr.)
Ready for an exciting career in the medical field? If so, the Medical Assistant diploma/certificate program from Virginia College could be just what you're looking for. With our 48-credit hour Medical Assistant program, you can complete your training in less than a year!
Medical Assistant Duties
Medical assistants work with, and under the direction of, a physician in the clinical and administrative aspects of a doctor's office, clinic or other healthcare setting. This program is designed to give you training in examining room procedures including:
- Obtaining vital signs and medical histories
- Performing routine laboratory procedures
- Sterilizing and maintaining equipment
- Performing the proper techniques for administering medications and immunizations
You'll also learn to perform administrative duties including managing medical records, scheduling appointments, filing paperwork and submitting insurance claims.
Medical Assistant Certifications Can Help Your Career.
Qualified graduates may be eligible to sit for one or both of the following certifications: Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) and Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT).* Certification is not required to work as a medical assistant in some states, but it can make you more valuable to employers and underscore the quality of your training.
Getting Hands-on Medical Assistant Training
A unique feature of the Medical Assistant program at Virginia College is a supervised externship in a physician's office, clinic or other medical setting. This 11-week externship will prepare you for the challenges and day-to-day duties you'll face in your career. You'll put the skills you've learned in class to practical use, and gain valuable on-the-job experience that can give you a competitive edge with employers.
We Prepare You to Seek Medical Assistant Jobs.
The support you'll get from Virginia College includes career planning and placement assistance. The job-placement experts on our Career Services team will help you review your resume, practice your interview techniques and even generate job leads.
Just think: in less than a year, you could have a brand new career. Don't wait, get started today by completing the Request More Information form.
* Note: The College makes no representation, promise or guarantee that completion of this program either assures passage of any certification examination or acceptance by any state board. Prospective and current students, as well as graduates, are responsible for researching and understanding all examination, registration or licensure requirements in any state in which they seek to become registered, licensed or employed.
Your success in Medical Assistant (Diploma/Certificate - 48 Credit Hr.) starts at the following locations:
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana - Diploma
- Columbia, South Carolina - Certificate
- Mobile, Alabama - Diploma
- Pensacola, Florida - Diploma
- Shreveport/Bossier City, Louisiana - Diploma
- Tulsa, Oklahoma - Certificate
NOTE: Program details subject to change. See the official campus catalog and appropriate addenda for the latest information.
Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas are required by Georgia, South Carolina and Oklahoma to be listed as Certificates (C).
Associate of Science degrees (AS) are required by SC, TN & VA to be listed as Associated of Applied Science degrees (AAS).
Associate of Applied Science degrees (AAS) are required by LA & VA to be listed as Associate in Occupational Studies degrees (AOS).
Bachelor of Science degrees (BS) are required by TN to be listed as Bachelor of Applied Science degrees (BAS).