Medical Assistant - Diploma / Certificate - 60 Credit Hr.
In as little as 16 months, you could be prepared to pursue a career as a Medical Assistant and look forward to being a key contributor to efficient operations in a variety of healthcare settings. The Medical Assistant diploma/certificate program at Virginia College provides hands-on educational opportunities in performing both the clinical and administrative duties of a physician's office or other medical setting.
Hands-on Medical Assistant Classes
This Virginia College program offers training to help prepare students for direct involvement in various aspects of patient care, such as:
- Obtaining vital signs and medical histories
- Preparing patients for examination
- Drawing blood and collecting specimens
- Administering medications and immunizations as directed by the physician.
You'll have the opportunity to learn other clinical techniques, such as preparing the examination room, sterilizing and maintaining equipment and performing routine laboratory procedures.
Expert Instructors with Real-world Experience
Virginia College's highly qualified instructors have extensive real-world experience. We provide the practical training needed for a fulfilling career in a variety of healthcare settings, including medical offices and clinics, outpatient and inpatient hospital facilities and similar healthcare locations.
On-the-job Training for Medical Assistants
One of the most exciting aspects of pursuing the Medical Assistant diploma/certificate at Virginia College is the opportunity to apply what you learn in class to an actual workplace setting. You'll participate in an 11-week externship in a physician's office, clinic or similar healthcare facility supervised by a physician, nurse or other health services professional. The externship experience provides valuable exposure to the actual day-to-day work of a medical assistant to give students a sense of what it takes to work successfully in a healthcare setting after graduation.
Medical Assistant Certifications are Important.
With successful completion of the Medical Assistant program at Virginia College, students are eligible to sit for one or all of these certification exams: Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Registered Medical Assistant (RMA), or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA).* Although certification is not a requirement for employment as a medical assistant, it does underscore the quality of your academic training and your commitment to a successful career as a medical assistant.
Medical Assistant Job Placement
The Virginia College Career Services team provides career planning and job-placement assistance including resume development, professionalism training and job interview skill building.
Learn More Now!
Learn more about a fulfilling career as a medical assistant in the rapidly growing healthcare industry. Complete the Request More Information form and take the first step toward your exciting new career.
* Note: The College makes no representation, promise or guarantee that completion of this program either assures passage of any certification examination or acceptance by any state board. Prospective and current students, as well as graduates, are responsible for researching and understanding all examination, registration or licensure requirements in any state in which they seek to become registered, licensed or employed.
Your success in Medical Assistant - / Certificate - 60 Credit Hr. starts at the following locations:
- Florence, South Carolina - Certificate
- Savannah, Georgia - Certificate
- Columbus, Georgia - Certificate
- Macon, Georgia - Certificate
- Spartanburg, South Carolina - Certificate
- Augusta, Georgia - Certificate
- Greenville, South Carolina - Certificate
- Charleston, South Carolina - Certificate
- Richmond, Virginia - Diploma
- Birmingham, Alabama - Diploma
- Huntsville, Alabama - Diploma
- Jackson, Mississippi - Diploma
- Biloxi, Mississippi - Diploma
- Austin, Texas - Diploma
- Chattanooga, Tennessee - Diploma
- Montgomery, Alabama - Diploma
- Jacksonville, Florida - Diploma
- Knoxville, Tennessee - Diploma
- Fort Pierce, Florida - Diploma
- Lubbock, Texas - Diploma
- Greensboro, North Carolina - Diploma
NOTE: Program details subject to change. See the official campus catalog and appropriate addenda for the latest information.
Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas are required by Georgia, South Carolina and Oklahoma to be listed as Certificates (C).
Associate of Science degrees (AS) are required by SC, TN & VA to be listed as Associated of Applied Science degrees (AAS).
Associate of Applied Science degrees (AAS) are required by LA & VA to be listed as Associate in Occupational Studies degrees (AOS).
Bachelor of Science degrees (BS) are required by TN to be listed as Bachelor of Applied Science degrees (BAS).